While the kids can hardly wait for the last day of school, parents often go into freak-out mode in May wondering what they’re going to do come summer. With some easy-to-follow advice, this time of year doesn’t have to be stressful or expensive.
Meet Rosalyn Hoffman – lifestyle guru, mother of two, and author most recently of SMART MAMA SMART MONEY: Raising Happy, Healthy Kids Without Breaking the Bank (NAL Trade Paperback Original; Spring 2012; $15) and the companion blog www.smartmamasmartmoney.com. From cradle to college, she has shopped the world, made the meals, balanced the books, mastered the technology, and charted the courses to give you the goods on finding what your kids need without losing your shirt…or your sanity!
Roz offers indispensable advice in her new book (perfect last minute Mother’s Day gift!) on a variety of topics, including:
• Camp on a budget.
• The lemonade stand – use this popular summer activity to teach kids about goods and services, how products come to the market, money, etc.
• Summer is a perfect time for DIY – teach kids to make their own clothes, plant gardens, even help out in the kitchen. With flexible summer schedules it’s a good time to get into good, healthy, budget-conscious routines.
• Summer Olympics – learn the pros and cons of participation in sports, dropping out, buying equipment, etc. to tie in with what is sure to be one of the hot topics of summer 2012!
• Family Camp (Not Family Camping) – a great value for a family vacation.
• Food—this is the time of year that produce is most bountiful so people are thinking about organic vs. local vs. regular. Roz can suggest ways for busy moms to get healthy food on the table.
Check out the new book and the blog!